Key Stage 1 – Year 1
In Year 1, the children will continue to take part in daily Phonics sessions which follow a systematic progression of phonics learning which will cover:
- All the phonemes of English words (Phase 5 is taught in Year 1)
- Correct pronunciation of the phonemes
- All commonly occurring grapheme-phoneme correspondences (GPCs)
- The correct formation of all graphemes
- Blending for reading
- Segmenting for writing
- The sequenced learning of appropriate tricky words.
The children will initially recap Phase 3 and Phase 4 before moving on to learning Phase 5 grapheme phoneme correspondences.